Unintentional Song Slaying.
We’ve all heard them. We’re all guilty of singing them.
I heard this morning on the radio that there’s an actual word for this occurance which comes from a 17th century ballad with the line,
“And laid him on the green“
Which, like all good mixed up words turned into:
“And Lady Mondegreen”
So on 97.3 Doug FM this morning, the 9 at 9:00 was dedicated to Mondegreens, which made me smile. Unfortunately I didn’t get to hear them all…so help me out with what I may have missed. Here’s my Mondegreen Pop Quiz for you dedicated Automatic7 readers and lurkers. The mondegreen is in bold. Put the correct lyric in the comments and then maybe add one of your own favorite lyric. Good clean Thursday musical fun.
1. ‘Scuse me while I kiss this guy. (Purple Haze)
2. I’m not talkin’ bout the linen/and I don’t wanna change your life/
but there’s a warm wind blowin the stars around/and I’d really love to see you tonight
3. Sharlene don’t like it/rock the cash bar, rock the cash bar
4. Hold me close now Tony Danza/count the headlights on the highway
Now a few from my personal stash:
5. You won’t get to see the tears I cry/ Hide the Saydle I
And my new personal favorite from Carribean Queen:
6. She touched my knee and blamed it on James
And don’t forget all the hymn possibilities out there. Ask your kid what THEY think we’re singing on Sunday in traditional church. You’ll have a long list in no time!
7. Lead on oh kinky turtle
Hit me with your best shot in the comments!